Instagram

Dressember Day 4: Christmas ornaments part 2


A great friend of mine asked a good question: Where do you recommend buying Christmas ornaments to ensure they're not made by trafficked people?


First, I want to note that the ornaments on my tree probably came from Target or even Walmart (more on Walmart later).  And...Until I myself read the report from the Bureau of International Labor Affairs (ILAB) on Sunday, I had NO idea that some Christmas ornaments were made by trafficked individuals.  I have no idea if the ornaments on your tree, in your home, were actually fair trade or not.  And I'm really just learning and disseminating that learned knowledge.  Knowledge is power.  Nor am I calling out anyone.  My best friend LOVES ornaments, and I happily buy her some cute ones (read: Disney) every so often.

It that makes a lot of sense though.  The bigger issue is mass consumption of cheap goods that don't pay fair wages to people to actually make the products.  We want to buy more and cheaper, but that means that the people who should be getting paid more aren't.  We would rather pay $12 for a dress (and I'm Chinese, I LOVE a good deal!) than $56, or $103.  But it may have cost that much to do so.

I have a few suggestions for friends who are thinking about ornaments, Christmas cards, and other like products...

1. Buy from fair trade organizations, especially those who are committed to working with artisans from impoverished backgrounds, such as these:
Trades of Hope
Noonday Collection
Ornaments 4 Orphans

You may also want to check out UNICEF, World Vision , and other humanitarian organizations who may offer alternatives.

Some of you might look at these and think: whoa, those prices!  But think about this: if we all actually paid the actual price it takes to gather materials, produce the goods, and pay the workers, it will be more expensive, but also more equal and fair.  That's the concept of fair trade.

2. Make your own!  Get creative and unique when you create your own ornaments out of regular things you already have in your home!  Paint or hand-draw personalized cards... and make ornaments...
Make them with buttons!

or popsicle sticks...

Hand-made ornaments are unique and a great way for you to have a fun time with your friends and family, or just yourself if you're like me...

3. Keep using what you already have!

The ornaments on my tree are ones I have used for several years now.  Some are from when I was a kid.  It doesn't mean that we have to constantly avoid going to Target if they have a nice batch for a decent quality.  I get that we don't have $30 to buy 4 ornaments from special fair trade places all the time.  But I think the point is, if we all just spent a little less, we would be able to pay the actual at-cost price of products we consume, lower the ridiculous high speed at which products are made, and hopefully lead to people being able to receive fairer wages overall.  It's economically sustainable and socially just.

I want to make it clear that I don't have all the answers.  But I want to do better about staying informed and making some small steps that may not do much in the short term.  If we all do a little bit...surely that can make a difference?

Comments

Popular Posts