Instagram

A Year of Grace

A full year!  I survived my first year in real, grown-up, full-time job.  Whoosh!

It feels like yesterday that I was experiencing the joy of getting my dream job practically thrown onto my lap.  It was so wondrous!

The first day I started real office work, my first client showed up and wowed me with honesty and self-awareness.

Since then...there have been many highs and many lows.  A roller-coaster ride.  Why have a job that is boring?  Better to live a fulfilled, underpaid life, to know the riches of acting out one's destiny and calling rather than long and strive for little significance or meaning.

Oh that people would know what brings them, and more importantly God, joy and glory!

Some of the things I've learned in year 1:

It's not my job to save people, or fix them.

People ARE going to cry and get angry and fire you over the phone.  Have a good cry, debrief and wrestle with it with your supervisor, and move on.

Learn from what you did less well and be confident in what you did really well.

Celebrate the small victories.  And have a party for the really big ones.

Narrate what's going on--the process over the content.

Sometimes things go south because of things beyond your control.  It's not your fault.

If things continue to go south, there are things you can try.  Supervision and consultation come in handy.

Sometimes work looks like making arts and crafts. Sometimes it looks like trying to reach people who won't answer their darn doors.


Learn, unlearn, relearn, repeat.


Notes are a necessary evil.  Just get them done so you can do what you love.

If you don't measure what it is really important, what you do measure becomes your priority.

Be a witness all day everyday.

Only He has the words of the Life.










I walked into the office on day 366 and thought: I love my job.  I want to do this for a long long time.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts